Friday, January 30, 2009

This and That......

Well....not much here. We did school today, like I made it through all that we are SUPPOSED to do! It's funny when you do accomplish the goal, it feels so uplifting, like a new day, a fresh start! Since this happened on Friday, I hope I can carry over the enthusiasm until Monday. We did a little project this morning that demonstrated our sin nature, ha do we really need a demonstration of it???? I sat a treat, some candy in front of the children and told them "not to touch it nor eat it!!!" I said that several times and just waited. In that wait, the natural man, the natural inclinations came forth from some, the smaller ones voiced it with, "why, I"m gonna eat it," and whine after whine because they wanted it and they had been told NO! The older ones really did not say anything but I asked them if in their heart something welled up and they wanted it, like they really wanted it? So all that to prove that even though our sinful nature tempts us to sin we must obey the Lord, and it shows that we need a Savior, as I was hitting this home to the younger ones. His word will not return void is my prayer.

Tonight.......David and Kate are coming over, having dinner with us and then......Ping Pong Tournaments!!!!! We have not played in a long time, so Dave and Kate have an advantage!!!
We'll probably get some Blitz in too with two decks! The weekend looks to be nice weather and I think Elijah is renting a tractor to move those 3 loads of dirt around he had hauled out in the pasture, cook some hamburgers and just do farm work.

Please continue to pray for the Lockwood family. Jaynee is having a different pregnancy and there are serious complications......but nothing too difficult for the Lord. I know tehy are grateful for every petition offered on their behalf!

Ok, I have a question. I am experimenting with making a dark rye bread and the recipe calls for "Bakers Carmel." I tried improvising and burning sugar as they suggested, but even then the dough is not as dark as the picture. Anyone ever found this stuff to purchase without ordering it on-line? Or do you have a recipe that is tried and produces a dark loaf of bread?

Have a fun weekend and be blessed as you spend it with those you love the most.....your family!!!!

2 comments:

LJR said...

I used to make bread a lot. I had a good one for dark rye. I haven't made bread in ages, but it sounds good now. I was going to email but I will post it here so others can see and make it if they wish.

Dark German Rye Bread

3 cups all-purpose flour
3 1/2 cups rye flour
2 cups water
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
1 tablespoon caraway seed
1 tablespoon salt
1/3 cup molasses
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons butter
Your favorite cooking oil

* In a big bowl combine combine all-purpose flour, salt, cocoa, yeast, and caraway seed.

*Heat and stir molasses, butter, sugar, 2 cups water and 2 Tablespoons oil until warm (about 110 deg if you have a themometor, i never used one you just want it warm not hot)

*Add dry mixture and beat at low speed with a mixer for about a min. Make sure you scrap the sides well.

*Then with your hands stir stir in enough rye flour to make a soft dough. Knead on floured surface about 5 mins until its smooth

*Cover it and let it rest 20 mins.

*Punch the dough down a split in half

* Shape into two Shape into 2 round loaves on greased baking sheets.

*Brush with oil and split the tops with a knife

*Cover and let rise until doubled, it takes about a hour or a little less if its warm

*Bake a 400 for 25-30 mins and cool on a rack

LJR said...

Thanks for the sweet blog comment. I couldn't agree with you more.

Hey if you use my directions for bread let me know how it comes out, its been ages since made it. I should give it a try again soon. I found it yummy. The cocoa powder is what gets it so dark, the molasses helps too. Who whould have thought coccoa powder in bread!